Error when trying sync time using ntp

Chris Gow sniffy-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Mon Jan 10 18:04:16 UTC 2005

On January 10, 2005 11:57 am, Taavi Burns wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 11:08:48 -0500, Chris Gow <sniffy-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > That's what I am thinking (I do have a fw). But the fact that running
> > ntpdate -q [timeserver] throws me for a loop. Because that works. Or does
> > a query (which I am guessing -q stands for) run over something else?
>
> Guess so.  I can do a -q, too, though it specifies a null offset.
> Now, I did just run
> ntpdate to a local timeserver, but I always expect to see microsecond
> adjustments,
> due to network effects if nothing else.  I saw only 0 values.  YMMV.
>
> Note, NTP uses port 123 (my /etc/services specifies both tcp and udp,
> though I'm suspecting it's quite capable of using tcp, since I've had no
> problems doing this
> behind a plain NAT setup).
Yeah. My firewall was/is blocking ntp UDP requests. Since I only want/need to
sync the time when my laptop boots, I've added a startup script that executes
before the firewall starts up. Of course for some reason, host names can't be
resolved when it runs (though the network has started up by then :( ). Oh
well, that's another problem.

thanks for all the help everyone!

-- chris