Error when trying sync time using ntp

Taavi Burns jaaaarel-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Jan 10 16:57:40 UTC 2005

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 11:08:48 -0500, Chris Gow <sniffy-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> That's what I am thinking (I do have a fw). But the fact that running ntpdate
> -q [timeserver] throws me for a loop. Because that works. Or does a query
> (which I am guessing -q stands for) run over something else?

Guess so.  I can do a -q, too, though it specifies a null offset.
Now, I did just run
ntpdate to a local timeserver, but I always expect to see microsecond
adjustments,
due to network effects if nothing else.  I saw only 0 values.  YMMV.

Note, NTP uses port 123 (my /etc/services specifies both tcp and udp, though I'm
suspecting it's quite capable of using tcp, since I've had no problems
doing this
behind a plain NAT setup).

--
taa