Multiple X Servers?!?!?!?

John Moniz john.moniz-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Sun Jan 9 15:41:34 UTC 2005

Paul King wrote:

>After an upgrade in Sarge where a ton of packages were updated, I noticed that
>there were multiple X servers starting (ie, in :1, :2, :3:, :4, etc, as well as
>:0). While I never knew you could do that on one machine (CTRL+ALT+Fn gets you
>to the different instances of X), and while it might come in handy, right now
>it is a nuisance as no window manager will begin while these are coming up.

[snip]

>Questions for you out there:
>1. How do you start multiple X servers (in case I want to try it out in a more
>controlled way later on)?

To start an extra X server, after having one desktop already working,
switch to any free console (eg. ctrl+alt+f2) and login as any user. Type
"startx -- :1 &" without the quotes. The original desktop should be
found in console 7 (but may depend on the distro). The second desktop
can be found in console 8. You can switch between desktops with
ctrl+alt+f7 and ctrl+alt+f8. Good for 2 users on same pc or for playing
with two different desktops at the same time.

A third desktop could be added with "startx -- :2 &" and would be found
in console 9 .... etc.