Multiple X Servers?!?!?!?

Robert Brockway rbrockway-wgAaPJgzrDxH4x6Dk/4f9A at public.gmane.org
Sat Jan 8 16:35:39 UTC 2005

On Sat, 8 Jan 2005, Paul King wrote:

> 1. How do you start multiple X servers (in case I want to try it out in
> a more controlled way later on)?

It can be done manually with something like X :0 , X :1 , etc.  It is
recommended to specify the virtual terminal to avoid race conditions.
Starting multiple X servers as part of the bootup process is display
manager dependent.  For kdm or xdm look for a file called Xservers which
specifies how many X server to start and on what virtual consoles.  Here
is the interesting part of mine:

:0 local at tty1 /usr/X11R6/bin/X :0  -dpi 100 vt2
:1 local at tty1 /usr/X11R6/bin/X :1  -dpi 100 vt3
# :2 local at tty1 /usr/X11R6/bin/X :2  -dpi 100 vt4

As you can see I have 2 running, and a 3rd commented out.  Running
multiple X servers, while much better than it used to be, still reduces
the stability of a box.  I hardlocked a box about a month ago while
playing with X configuration while swapping between :0 and :1.

One interesting consequence is that you can use the displays to provide
remote access to other boxes.  I regularly do this with my company laptop.
:0 allows access to the local box, while :1 is a display allowing access
to a company thin client server.

> 2. Any idea as to what scripts to check out to fix this?

I've never heard of a distro starting multiple X servers by default.  It
really sounds like a loop gone wild somewhere.  More info would be needed
to track it.

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc.
Senior Technical Consultant, OpenTrend Solutions Ltd.