Two inetd servers?

Lola Slade jkls-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 4 20:02:07 UTC 2005

On a Debian system I took over I have two inetd servers running.

ps -ef lists both /usr/sbin/inetd and /usr/sbin/inetutils-inetd. lsof -i
shows inetd is listening on telnet, ftp and a couple of others while
inetutils is listening on distcc. There is no such file /usr/sbin/inetd on
my system and the package netkit-inetd is not installed according to dpkg.
Actually, lsof reports /usr/sbin/inetd is (deleted).

I am confused. Does this indicate some trojan or rootkit? Could it also be
the result of an apt-get update without a reboot?