custom kernel config

Scott Allen scotta-cpI+UMyWUv9BDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 6 10:59:27 UTC 2005

On Wed Jan 05,2005 06:02:41 PM Logan Rathbone wrote:
> On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 07:37:34 -0500
> James Knott <james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>
> [snip]
> > >   I run Fedora Core 3 and my current kernel comes from an RPM.
> Is this
> > > possible? Is there some way to base a new downloaded kernel's
> initial
> > > config on the running kernel? Thanks!
> >
> > It's been a while since I've done it, but IIRC, there's a file,
> that
> > contains the config of the current kernel.
>
> Yes that's correct.  It's called `.config' and it's located in the
> root directory of the kernel's source code.  You should be able to
> copy this file from kernel to kernel within reason.

After you copy .config to the new kernel source directory you should
run
"make oldconfig".
This will eliminate any depreciated values from .config and prompt
you for any new values supported by the new kernel.

You can then run "make config", "make menuconfig", etc., as usual to
modify the parameters to your liking.

--
** Scott Allen   scotta-cpI+UMyWUv9BDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org **
**     Toronto, Ontario, Canada     **