any touch screen experience there?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Feb 16 20:39:05 UTC 2005

On Wed, Feb 16, 2005 at 09:50:28PM +0200, Peter L. Peres wrote:
> There are 2 kinds. Those that emulate usb mice and those that emulate
> serial mice. The serial kind works fine, except you have to accomodate
> their calibration software somehow (sometimes this may require dual boot
> into opendos - it might work with dosemu). The calibrations stays put
> once calibrated (almost no drift with 'always on' computers, like
> kiosks). I have no experience with the usb kind.
>
> The touchscreen 'looks' like a mouse for all practical purposes. Most
> touchscreens do pointer motion to coordinates of touch (absolute) and
> emit a left click event for each user touch. This means you must make
> applications work without dragging and on 'left click' only. There are
> ways around this but reliability suffers.

And then there are the kind that don't pretend to be mice at all, and
use their own protocol to send touch release and moved to events with
coordinates for each event.

Touch screens are great for clicking buttons, but terrible for dragging,
and many other things that a mouse can do.  They also don't do more than
one button (ok for mac users I guess).

Lennart Sorensen