any touch screen experience there?

Peter L. Peres plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org
Wed Feb 16 19:50:28 UTC 2005

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005, Zbigniew Koziol wrote:

> Just wonder if there is anybody around who knows something how touch screens
> work under Linux?
>
> The company I have some work with sells kiosks with touch screens. They
> operate on Windows. It would be wonderfull to change their OS to Linux,
> wouldnt it?
>
> At the moment I do not know much technical details, but I will know more,
> soon.

There are 2 kinds. Those that emulate usb mice and those that emulate
serial mice. The serial kind works fine, except you have to accomodate
their calibration software somehow (sometimes this may require dual boot
into opendos - it might work with dosemu). The calibrations stays put
once calibrated (almost no drift with 'always on' computers, like
kiosks). I have no experience with the usb kind.

The touchscreen 'looks' like a mouse for all practical purposes. Most
touchscreens do pointer motion to coordinates of touch (absolute) and
emit a left click event for each user touch. This means you must make
applications work without dragging and on 'left click' only. There are
ways around this but reliability suffers.

good luck,
Peter