adding command to startup

Matt Cahill m-cahill-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sun Feb 13 19:45:20 UTC 2005

Howdy all,

  A while ago, I found that I needed to do 'xhost +' to allow myself to log-in
as root and run certain apps like Synaptic.  It turned out, in the ensuing
discussion, that 'xhost +' isn't exactly the most secure command in the
world, and I found that 'xauth merge /home/matt/.Xauthority' did the trick
better (or so I'm led to believe).  Problem is, I'm not sure how to add this
to the startup routine.  I tried adding it to /etc/init.d, but it's not
recognized.  So my question is:  do I append an existing start-up script, or
is there a way to register a start-up script of my own so that my system
recognizes it?

  Many thanks,

Matt

--