TCP connects, but UDP doesn't ?

William Park opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Sun Feb 13 17:51:07 UTC 2005

On Sun, Feb 13, 2005 at 12:35:13PM -0500, William Park wrote:
> Can someone kick me in the right direction?
>
> On the local machine, I can connect to ports 37 (Time) and 13 (Daytime)
> using TCP and UDP, if I specify 127.0.0.1, ie.
>
>     netdate tcp 127.0.0.1	--> works
>     netdate udp 127.0.0.1	--> works
>
> But, specifying 192.168.1.1 instead, only TCP side connects, ie.
>
>     netdate tcp 192.168.1.1	--> works
>     netdate udp 192.168.1.1 	--> netdate: read: Connection refused
>
> My /etc/inetd.conf has both TCP and UDP of 37 and 13 ports opened, ie.
>
>     time     stream  tcp  nowait  root  internal
>     time     dgram   udp  wait    root  internal

Sorry for the noise.  I should've read manpage:

    inetd provides several ``trivial'' services internally by use of
    routines within itself.  These services are ``echo'', ``discard'',
    ``chargen'' (character generator), ``daytime'' (human readable time),
    and ``time'' (machine readable time, in the form of the number of
    seconds since mid- night, January 1, 1900).  All of these services are
    TCP based.  For details of these services, consult the appropriate RFC
    from the Network Information Center.