Transition Software - Live Linux Distro

John Myshrall jmyshrall-6duGhz7i8susTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org
Sun Feb 13 15:49:06 UTC 2005

In addition to refurbishing PC's and giving them away to people. The
last few months of my hobby has now moved into making up CD's for
Windows users and giving them away.  This all started with Spreading
Firefox.

My goal is to expose people (Windows users) to great Open Source
software which is also available for Linux. I'm over 50 on my
distribution so far.

On this Windows disk I put Limewire and Azureus. I have also put some
free software from various software makers on it ie Adaware, AVG,
Sygate.  There are so many naked boxes connected to the net without any
protection.

I have given some of them Live Linux CD's and just about everyone is
blown away. They also feel quite comfortable with it because of the
transition software like : Firefox, Thunderbird, Open Office, Gaim.

What I would like to do is put together a disk with as much of this
software as possible. The software would have to be available for both
Linux and Windows.

Phase 2 would be to do the same with a Live Linux "Transition" Distro.

I would appreciate any suggestions on software to add to this list and
if anybody can provide any gotchas / info on building such a distro. I
know there is a book out about Knoppix hacks by Oreilly however I'm not
sure if this is the book I need.

I have also looked at  A Temporary Internet Lounge Revisited:
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/8081  by Colin McGregor. Which was
very helpful.

Any help would be appreciated.
TIA