Fedora2 -> Fedora3

Marcus Brubaker marcus.brubaker-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Sun Feb 13 04:05:31 UTC 2005

Alan Cohen wrote:

>By comparison to others on this list, I'm still a newbie. I've been
>happily using Fedora2 and have regularly kept it current with yum.
>
>I didn't realize that each Fedora release has a very limited life time.
>I'm not interested in bleeding edge. Frankly, I'm principally concerned
>with security fixes.
>  - how will I know when it's time to upgrade from Fedora2 to Fedora3?
>  - how do I do that?
>
>My regular "yum update" has been relatively benign, but I presume that
>upgrading to a new release is not to be taken lightly! Advice?

If you're not using any non-standard repositories (or packages) then
upgrading shouldn't be much of an issue.  Even if you are using
non-standard repositories or packages things should still be alright.
It worked fine for me and I've been guilty of "mixing" allegedly
incompatible repositories.  If you're not interested in the bleeding
edge but want to stay up to date on security then I would suggest
upgrading only when your version is no longer actively supported.

Officially, when Fedora stops supporting a release then Fedora Legacy
starts supporting it but I wouldn't rely on their support for long as
they are a relatively small group with a big mandate.  So putting those
two things together I would suggest upgrading to the latest version once
your current version is transfered to Fedora Legacy.

Now, FC2 is scheduled to be transfered to Fedora Legacy on March 21st
when FC4 Test 2 is released.  Thus, I would wait until around May (about
a month after FC4 has been released) to upgrade straight to FC4.  This
ensures that you don't have to rely on Fedora Legacy to provide security
patches for too long but that you don't jump into FC4 until the dust has
settled.

As to how to upgrade, just download the ISOs, burn them and boot as if
doing a new install.  It should detect the old installation and give you
the option to upgrade.  (In theory you could upgrade with yum like
Debian users do with apt but I'm not sure how much I would suggest that
and I've never heard of anyone trying it.)

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Marcus