linuxcaffe; become peripheraly involved !

David J Patrick davidjpatrick-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Wed Feb 9 20:42:03 UTC 2005

Lennart Sorensen wrote:

>On Wed, Feb 09, 2005 at 03:04:49PM -0500, David J Patrick wrote:
>

>>You know; phone line in one end and xDSL pppoe out the other ?
>>Speadstream ? Alcatel ? the thing that Sympatico dings you (me)
>>$10/month for ?
>>

>Oh a DSL modem with an ethernet connection on it.  Why pay $10/month
>when you can buy it for $80?  And isn't sympatico overpriced to begin
>with?

Using Sympatico ADSL at home (for several years, but not much longer),
and setting up ADSL with iStop, for the caffe, I'm going to buy the
"modem" from iStop, unless I can find a suitable used thingy.

>>I hope to have several webcams going, and use usb numeric keypads as
>>interfaces to the security system.
>>

>Hmm, interesting idea.
>

>>or it's CoasterCreator (tm) !
>>

>I have run an ASUS 40x cd writer on a pentium 75 before.  It performed
>pretty good, and the burnproof system took care of the hickups.  Much
>better than I had imagined.  My experience with a DVR-103 (2x DVD
>writer) on a pentium II 450 was much worse (close to unusable) due to a
>complete lack of any buffer underrun handling.

good to know. You'll know doubt be hearing about it if the coaster
quotient is too high.
As always, your input is invaluable,
djp