getting IP address of router

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Feb 8 14:56:13 UTC 2005

On Mon, Feb 07, 2005 at 03:43:19PM -0500, jim ruxton wrote:
> Thanks Adam. I'm looking for a Linux solution and yes it is the internet
> IP address I'm looking for. I'd prefer a command or script rather than
> going to a website but thanks this is useful as a test.

Only someone outside receiving your connection and your router itself,
have any way to detect the ip you are using.  After all the router never
uses the outside IP when talking to you.  Writing a script to parse a
simple webpage is really rather simple for detecting it, although
simplest would be if the router had a webpage (or even a simple port you
could connect to) that just gave you the ip as a string.

Lennart Sorensen