getting IP address of router

Peter L. Peres plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org
Mon Feb 7 22:36:51 UTC 2005

On Mon, 7 Feb 2005, jim ruxton wrote:

>> What system are you on ? On linux you don't need an external host to
>> tell you who you are unless you run through a NAT firewall atyour
>> premises or your isp's.
>>
>> Both lynx and, better, wget, can be used to obtain the source of a web
>> page. wget is easier to use than lynx in this context.
>>
>> Is that host behind a NAT firewall ?
>
> Yes that is my problem. I am behind the NAT firewall.

In that case, I think that getting an account with one of the dynip
providers would help. They can, and will help you to obtain your current
ip at each reconnect. The details vary but it can be done. You also get
a name to use instead of typing numbers so maybe it solves the problem
without solving it. i.e. the remote can refer to your machine by name
and it doesn't need the ip at all.

Peter