my partitioning method

Robert Brockway rbrockway-wgAaPJgzrDxH4x6Dk/4f9A at public.gmane.org
Fri Feb 4 21:09:56 UTC 2005

On Fri, 4 Feb 2005, Teddy Mills wrote:

> I am not sure about todays bios's but i am still wary of the 1024 cylinder
> and not being able to boot an OS when it is installed above the 1024th
> cylinder.

It's unlikely you'll see an issue with a modern system but remember that
the problem is bios related, not Linux related.  Just make sure your
kernel is fully within the first 1024 cylinders.  An easy way to ensure
this is to make a small / or /boot filesystem, having it near the
beginning of the disk and locate the kernel image there.

The reason this works is that Linux doesn't use bios calls (except for
some pci stuff, if you allow it).

> The catch is that many people install their OS's onto partitions larger than
> 4GB,  and then they run into all kinds of problems. with os's not booting,

These limitations thankfully do not apply to Linux as long as the simple
rule above is observed.

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc.
Senior Technical Consultant, OpenTrend Solutions Ltd.