my partitioning method

Teddy Mills teddymills-VFlxZYho3OA at public.gmane.org
Fri Feb 4 14:58:48 UTC 2005

I am not sure about todays bios's but i am still wary of the 1024
cylinder and not being able to boot an OS when it is installed above the
1024th cylinder.
This is why I never create a c:\ partiton larger than 4GB.  I put all my
programs and OS on a 4GB c:\ (/dev/hda1)
Then I install my Linux in a 3750MB (/dev/hda2) and swap partition
/dev/hda3.  (let GRUB do the boot managing)
  (I used to do this for FC2 and FC3, but now I use RHEL3, same stuff)
Then I make either a NTFS or VFAT partition on /dev/hda4 (the choice
depends on how i feel that day and wheather i want to compile a kernel
for NTFS support, whereas VFAT support is builtin)
with the remaing space. This data partition /dev/hda4 is often 50GB or more.

thus

/dev/hda1 Windows NTFS or VFAT
/dev/hda2 root of my linux
/dev/hda3 swap
/dev/hda4 partition for all my data format as ext3, vfat, or ntfs, as
you see fit

The catch is that many people install their OS's onto partitions larger
than 4GB,  and then they run into all kinds of problems. with os's not
booting, partition map problems etc.etc.
This if course my standard setup for a dualbooting system. ie good for
laptops etc.
For standalone linux servers, the setup of course is more-linux-friendly.