linuxcaffe; what's new ?

David J Patrick davidjpatrick-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Thu Feb 3 19:22:17 UTC 2005

If you have been following the continuing saga of linuxcaffe, you might
have wondered "what the heck is going on ?".
The website hasn't changed, the storefront is still just green, the
"linuxcaffe" TLUG posts have subsided, have I given up yet ?

NO WAY !

I'm just head-down reno guy, working on the physical space, that's all !
I found the TikiWiki tweaking was cutting into my reno time, so (as it
was really a stand-in, anyways) I'm devoting full time to operation
"opening-soon".

So what's new ?

core admin team/ website developers established
bathroom plumbing
paint
retail displays
lighting grid
lights in the grid
rewire everything
LOBOS shelves
server hardware
POS hardware
phone line (416-534-2116)
more paint
ventilation systems complete
radiators installed
trim and
logo design (85%)
mail box
espresso machine
slicer
dishes
laundry sink
chairs recovered
tables painted

What's coming up ?

counters & cabinetry
more plumbing
more electrical
window "bars" (steel wire spider webs)
server set-up
thin client (Thinkpad) acquisition and setup
more graphic design
website creation
lighting control system
legal document creation (user agreements, artist licenses, liability
waivers etc)
establishment of standard hardware/software base (for the linux boxes we
will sell)

How can you help ?

physical labour (if you like that sort of thing)
donate hardware (unloved CPUs, monitors, USB routers webcams, wiring etc.)
legal (know any linuxy lawyers ?)
writing articles/reviews (once the new website is up)

If you are sysadmin inclined, we will be looking for a gaggle of geeks
to remotely administer systems of new linux users. (more on that to
follow) email me off-list, if you are interested.
Once the servers are up and the (new) website is online, there will be
many more things to do, but much of the  development can happen after
the doors are open.

So despite website inactivity, sparse linuxcaffe related postings, and
unchanging storefront, things are happening !

Thanks to all who have contributed, so far, and in advance, for those
who plan to !
djp