partitioning problems when trying to install Fedora.

Simon Tonekham simon_128-PkbjNfxxIARBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Tue Feb 1 15:02:02 UTC 2005

hello folks,

This morning, I was attempting to install Fedora on my 2nd hard drive. The
problem is I experience problems on doing the automatic partitioning with
Fedora. I'm trying to do the automatic partitioning on my Maxtor 30GB Hard
drive. I've already created a 15GB VFAT partition which enables me to share
files between Windows and in this case, Linux. I also have another 15GB of
unallocated space. When I tried to go into the "keep all partitions and use
the existing free space" option on my 2nd hard drive or "hdb". I've been
presented with an error indicating that I could not allocate the reuqest
partitions. This goes as follows:

"Unsatisfied Partition request

New part request - mountpoint: none
uniqueID: 27
type: physical volume (LVM) format: 1 badblocks: none
device: none drive:['hdb'] primary: none
size:0 grow: 1 maxsize: none
start: none end: none migrate: none
origfstype: none"

I also got this error message as well:

"The following errors occured with your partitioning.

You have not defined a root (/) partition wh ich is required for
installation of Fedora Core to continue.

This can happen if there is not enough space on your hard drive(s) for the
installation.

You can choose a different automatic partiton option or click "back" to
select manual partitioning."

In my opinion, the manual partitioning is a very painful, tedious and
meticular (sorry if i misspelled the word) process on establishing Fedora.
I've checked the 2nd hard drive for errors and bad sectors, but there are
none on my hard drive. I also defragged my hard drive as well. Any
suggestions, will be appreciated. Thank you.

Simon