I want to destroy my CDs !

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Feb 1 13:59:38 UTC 2005

On Mon, Jan 31, 2005 at 06:59:23PM -0500, David J Patrick wrote:
> very cool !
> Makes sense, too. do you suppose one might recycle the aluminum, that way ?
> Enough to make it worth aggressively collecting coasters and designing
> the process?
> Maybe it's a seasonal thing (winter) :-)
> Does that mean I should think twice before leaving valuable disks in a
> cold car ??

I think it was the sudden temperature change that did it.  The metal
cools of very fast while the plastic doesn't conduct heat as well so it
cools slower.  At least that's my theory on it.  I have never had a CD
damaged by leaving it in the car in the winter, although I don't think I
would put it in my computer until it warms up first.

As for recycling the aluminum, I suspect it would take maybe a hundred
CDs to equaly one can, and it would be contaminated by the dye material,
so it may not be worth it, and perhaps it isn't wanted.  If someone
specialized in recycling CDs they would probably have a method for
collecting the metal and plastic for proper recycling (and would of
course have much better volumes too).

Lennart Sorensen