var is mysteriously clogged

Sy Ali sy1234-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 30 10:20:20 UTC 2005

On 12/29/05, David Thornton <david-FkEgs2FKm2NvBvnq28/GKQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I'm with Walter.
>
> linux != Windows
>

> Linux is not an open system so that you can treat it like a closed system.
> You reboot windows because you CAN'T know what's going on.
> Under a freenix you CAN know what's going on and you should.
>
> hmm... on second though this is a bit of OSS Snoobery on my part. You can learn "what's up" on a solaris system much better than on a windows system. I can't speak to AIX , SCO, HP-UX et al.
>
> It's good to be skeptical of a setup ( even one you created yourself). It's not good to believe you can't figure it out.
>
> YOU CAN.
>
> (Being a sysadmin is not rocket science.)
> I had the exact same issue on my server ( df / du mismatches.)
>
> I simply stopped each service that was using files on var... then I umounted it and remounted it.
>
> Problem gone. system uptime intact.
>
> I had a permission problem in my syslog-ng setup.
>
> Problem found and fixed. System better.
>
> I've been running gentoo for more than a year. Others have said : Gentoo is nothing more than an experiment. I agree. so far so good.
> I have gotten into crazy situations and I have gotten out of them..
> speaking of which does anyone know why there are so many versions of automake and autoconf installed as part of the base install?

First: Damned top poster!  =p

I'm just going to briefly point out to you all how very big a waste of
time it's been in my life to "figure things out".. Linux has eaten
more of my time than anything else.  I no longer want to figure
anything out, or be able to fix it next time.. I want to stop wasting
so much time.  I'd rather migrate towards something that just works,
something that's lower maintainance and something that requires less
skulking about to comprehend.

Having said that, sure I could restart a process if I knew what it
was.  However because I didn't even realise there could have been a
process to blame, I had no way of knowing to troubleshoot that way.
Rebooting solved what's probably a one-time issue.  If I were to have
been anally retentive and tried harder, I would have wasted a
spectacular amount of time.  Plus, I'd be filling my brain with
useless sysadmin knowledge that I don't want.  My brain is full and
very bruised from many previous late-night sysadminning missions.

I give up, I want to be a regular user.  I hate having to bend to my
tools.. they should work for me instead.

I'm going to go off now and write a big fat rant on my computing
experiences in the last 15 years.
It'll get done sometime this morning (and tweaked randomly), and
deposited over here:
http://jrandomhacker.info/Usability_over_servicability