FOSS and the election

phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 23 14:20:51 UTC 2005

> Most of the above criteria can indeed be researched and measured, but
> not all. While "reliability" and "quality" can be measured,
> "trustworthiness" is by nature more subjective because trust is an
> emotion, not a measurable attribute.

Trustworthiness may refer to the ability to detect 'back doors' and
'trojan horses' in the code. With Open Software, that's relatively easy to
do. One of the many reasons I don't use Microsoft software is that I have
no idea what the damn stuff is communicating to Redmond. That's completely
unacceptable for  software used in a government environment. I believe
this was a major factor in the acceptance of Open Software in Europe and
Brazil.

So in this context I would say that trustworthiness is measurable.

Peter

--
Peter Hiscocks
Professor Emeritus,