FOSS and the election

Scott Elcomb psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Dec 22 22:36:04 UTC 2005

On 12/22/05, D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> | From: Tony Abou-Assaleh <taa-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org>
>
> | Is anyone here involved in some way with the Green Party?
>
> The Greens I know are Linux users and developers.  And active in the
> party.  Or were, last time I talked to them about this (a while ago).
> According to the media, there has been an internal conflict in the
> party -- a number of members, including executive members have left.
>
> The plank may have originated from these guys.

That's a surprise.  Any idea what conflict was about?

> | DRDC
> | has conducted an extensive research on FOSS and made an 'informed'
> | recommendation to all GOV departments to 'consider' using FOSS and
> | commercial software alike, and choose what fits their needs (as opposed to
> | considering only commercial software, which is what most departments tend
> | to do).
>
> Russell McOrmand is an Ottawa activist and Linux guy
>         http://www.flora.ca/russell/
>
> Apparently he is no longer a member of the Green Party.  He has been
> active in
>
>         http://www.goslingcommunity.org/
>
> GOSLING = Getting Open Source Logic INto Governments.

Also a surprise.  Russell's non-partisan stance, and his amazing
ability for making people think, was instrumental in getting me to
vote last year.  Had no idea he was a Green.

--
Scott Elcomb
psema4.gotdns.com

'I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source
code' - Unknown