FOSS and the election

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Dec 22 22:26:34 UTC 2005

| From: Tony Abou-Assaleh <taa-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org>

| Is anyone here involved in some way with the Green Party?

The Greens I know are Linux users and developers.  And active in the
party.  Or were, last time I talked to them about this (a while ago).
According to the media, there has been an internal conflict in the
party -- a number of members, including executive members have left.

The plank may have originated from these guys.

| In particular,
| I'd like to know if they have specific facts to back up this policy.

What kind of facts?  Nothing in the quoted policy depended on any facts.

| DRDC
| has conducted an extensive research on FOSS and made an 'informed'
| recommendation to all GOV departments to 'consider' using FOSS and
| commercial software alike, and choose what fits their needs (as opposed to
| considering only commercial software, which is what most departments tend
| to do).

Russell McOrmand is an Ottawa activist and Linux guy
	http://www.flora.ca/russell/

Apparently he is no longer a member of the Green Party.  He has been
active in

	http://www.goslingcommunity.org/

GOSLING = Getting Open Source Logic INto Governments.

As far as election issues are concerned, I think that the new
copyright legislation that died on the order paper is more important
than FOSS use by government.  Ditto for the Lawful Access legislation.
Neither seem to be visible in this election.

Two pages I got to from Russell's stuff:

http://www.digital-copyright.ca/about
http://www.digital-copyright.ca/election2006/blog