FOSS and the election

Tony Abou-Assaleh taa-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org
Thu Dec 22 18:18:39 UTC 2005

Is anyone here involved in some way with the Green Party? In particular,
I'd like to know if they have specific facts to back up this policy. DRDC
has conducted an extensive research on FOSS and made an 'informed'
recommendation to all GOV departments to 'consider' using FOSS and
commercial software alike, and choose what fits their needs (as opposed to
considering only commercial software, which is what most departments tend
to do).

One needs to keep in mind that Free in FOSS refers to choice and not cost.
There is a cost associated with using FOSS, and in many cases it may
exceed the costs of commercial software.

Do you guys know a person up the hierarchy at the Green Party who can give
an informative talk about FOSS and politics?

Cheers,

TAA

Tony Abou-Assaleh
Lecturer, Computer Science Department
Brock University, St. Catharines, ON, Canada, L2S 3A1
Office: MC J215
Tel:    +1(905)688-5550 ext. 5243
Fax:    +1(905)688-3255
Email:  taa-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org