jobs in Linux / IT

billt-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org billt-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org
Thu Dec 22 13:45:44 UTC 2005

On Thu, Dec 22, 2005 at 06:51:58AM -0500, Kamran wrote:
> Stewart C. Russell wrote:
> > James Knott wrote:
> >

> >> Why isn't there some sort
> >> of supervised work program, to enable them to get started?
> >

> > There is, but a lot of the problem lies with the professional
> > associations. Since they exist to protect members' salaries, they make
> > it hard for newcomers to get in.
> >

> Most of the professional organizations in Canada recognize
> qualifications from countries with equivalent standards of education.
> It becomes a problem getting certified when your education is not up to
> snuff.
> --
Most professional organizations in Ontario recognize qualifications from other English speaking countries. You can have a degree from the best institutes in the non-english speaking world and it generally makes no difference. This is not true in all provinces as it is fairly easy to enter the professional groups in Alberta, and Quebec.

Also, Canadian immigration offices often don't tell perspective immigrants that their profession is regulated in Canada so they will be umable to practice it. I know one woman with a pharmacy degree from the University of Cario (a very prestigious program outside of Canada) that spent six months dicking around with that organization in Ontario before moving out to Alberta.

Bill