jobs in Linux / IT

Robert Brockway rbrockway-wgAaPJgzrDxH4x6Dk/4f9A at public.gmane.org
Thu Dec 22 06:57:25 UTC 2005

On Wed, 21 Dec 2005, paul sutton wrote:

> Thanks,  I have one in pdf on my personal website, will update and post
> there,  and put a link, and perhaps summerise on the list,  otherwise it
> could end up as a big post.

Hi Paul.  See you are showing clue already - a big plus :)

I do have a serious reason for posting.  Don't get disillusioned if you
don't find IT work here as easily as you thought you might (or as easily
as you did at home).  Many Canadian companies seek "Canadian experience".

The problem with this of course is that when you first arrive you have
none of this Canadian experience and so getting the first job can be
harder than expected.  As an immigrant from Australia I encountered this
when I first arrived - Australia has no equivalent concept and I was a bit
surprised when I hit this wall.  I was out of work 6 weeks when I arrived,
which I'm told is very short - most immigrants are out of work for much
longer.  Give that you'll only be visiting Canada for a year and will
mainly be seeking contract positions (I imagine) this may be less of an
issue.

Anyway good luck in the job hunt.

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc.		Phone:	+1-416-669-3073
Senior Technical Consultant	Email:	support-wgAaPJgzrDxH4x6Dk/4f9A at public.gmane.org