man page unrecognized characters

J. Qiang Li shijialee-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Dec 22 06:04:09 UTC 2005

hi, i am using aterm and getting unrecognized character in man page. however it is fine with
xterm.  below is part of `man ls`.

              file status information) with -l: show ctime and sort by name other‐
       --color[=WHEN]
              control whether color is used to distinguish file types.   WHEN  may
              be ‘never’, ‘always’, or
‘auto’
              generate output designed for Emacs’ dired mode
under aterm, also tried perldoc LWP which gives me similar problem too. also tried with groff ,
same problem.

my current locale is :

LANG=
LC_CTYPE=zh_CN.UTF-8
LC_NUMERIC="POSIX"
LC_TIME="POSIX"
LC_COLLATE="POSIX"
LC_MONETARY="POSIX"
LC_MESSAGES="POSIX"
LC_PAPER="POSIX"
LC_NAME="POSIX"
LC_ADDRESS="POSIX"
LC_TELEPHONE="POSIX"
LC_MEASUREMENT="POSIX"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="POSIX"
LC_ALL=

======== and in another system i have the same problem with locale

LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE=zh_CN.utf8
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

i need to keep LC_CTYPE=zh_CN.utf8 in order to use chinese in my application. could that be the
problem ? how do i fix it ?

James.