OT: Cross-platform Video Format

Byron Sonne blsonne-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Dec 20 23:29:50 UTC 2005

> What video format can I suggest to Elections Canada so that their videos
> are playable also in Mac OS X and Linux?

If they don't bother sending it back in a new format (I'm running linux,
and prefer AVI to be honest) it appears xine is supported under OS X:
http://xinehq.de/index.php/about

Dunno about using the windows codecs and DLLs under OS X (like I do now
via http://cambuca.ldhs.cetuc.puc-rio.br/xine/ and from an mplayer
package too, I think) those might have issues with non x86 chips. Most
of it seems to run OK on my amd64 box, but there were some wrinkles at
first.

Another option may be wine or the crossover plugin/office from codeweavers.

Cheers,
Byron