apt-get problem

Peter plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org
Sun Dec 18 19:28:52 UTC 2005

On Sat, 17 Dec 2005, Herb Richter wrote:

> I have a problem with one computer running knoppix(4.0)/dedian.
>
> While preparing to install a driver for a HP printer as per HP's
> instructions(?) on hpinkjet.sourceforge.net,  an apt-get install ___
> failed but went on to remove a *lot* of files including all/most of KDE.
>
> Now I am unable to install / remove *any* packages using either apt-get or
> aptitude.  Both seem to get hung trying to remove "kdebluetooth" :

This has happened to me too. I do not know why it happened (Knoppix 3.4
and 3.7). I believe that the reason is, that the Knoppix preparers used
a very different set of sources for making their distribution, from what
is available now on the internet. This causes most apt-related
operations to attmept to 'catch up', trying to load the equivalent of a
few years of updates, and then it gets stuck because there was a major
and incompatible library upgrade in between. Knoppix came with gcc-3.3.3
and I had to upgrade it to 3.3.6 to use some packages I need. I had to
do it by hand (afaik you cannot upgrade gcc and glibc using apt across
such a large version bump).

Peter