OT: gaming PC for sale

Mike Newman presidentofthefuture-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Dec 17 20:54:06 UTC 2005

This is slightly on-topic because every piece of hardware in this
computer has been selected with Linux-compatability in mind.

Athlon XP 2800+
512 MB dual-channel DDR RAM
60 GB hard drive
Nforce2-based motherboard with AGP 8x, USB 2, Firewire 400, built-in
5.1 channel sound card
GeForce 5900 XT, overclocked, 128MB DDR
SoundBlaster Live! Value
52x CD-RW
10/100 Ethernet and 802.11g WiFi
Aerocool Jetmaster Jr case with handle (great for LAN parties)
http://www.modthebox.com/review340_1.shtml (case pics and review)

The WiFi card has open-source FreeBSD drivers, but on GNU/Linux you'll
have to settle for ndiswrapper (which has worked fine for me for
months). Everything else has worked fine out of the box on Ubuntu and
Fedora Core. However, if you're willing to use proprietary NVIDIA
drivers you'll get much better 3D performance.

Asking $400, includes copy of UT2004 (Linux/Windows). May be able to
snag a copy of Doom 3 (also Linux/Windows).

The plan is to move to a Mac mini (I just don't have time for games!),
so I'd love to hear from someone who's looking to sell, or even talk
about a trade.

Happy holidays!
Mike Newman
--