Promoting Open Source in Schools

Joseph Kubik josephkubik-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Dec 17 19:54:32 UTC 2005

Windows and linux have many similarities in a large campus roll out.
However, linux is designed to be easier to manage remotely.

At the university I went to, we had linux and solaris workstations as
the school approved computers. They used a kickstart system and
re-imaged every machine at least once a week.
If you dig around, there is some neat stuff here:
http://www.eos.ncsu.edu/

It was all spawned by the Athena project at MIT:
http://web.mit.edu/ist/topics/athena/

Overall the MS windows labs never worked right, and the unix labs did.
The automated re-deployment was the real reason unix worked. A given
Linux system could be destroyed accidentally in about 1 day of use.

While I do like linux better, my whole point is that it's not wildly
better than anything else out there.

-Joseph-