Promoting Open Source in Schools

Zbigniew Koziol zkoziol-Zd07PnzKK1IAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Dec 17 16:54:14 UTC 2005

This is rather off topic what I want to ask.

Igor Denisov wrote:

> Also, with Linux, there _would_ be a lot less work, because all the
> l33t_h4xx0r_dud3 high school kids would no longer be able to download
> and use system cracks from sites like Blackcode. After all, all you
> need for local Win2K admin rights is a boot disk, and then you can
> install anything you want, be it Quake3 or a network traffic sniffer.

Isnt the same in this case danger with using Linux as well? One needs
just the first installation CD to put in and get full access (not even
with of the same distribution). Or is there perhaps a way that this
could be prevented?

But the real question I have is the following.

Wouldnt it be less expensive to use just one powerfull machine for
entire school/organization and connect to it by using 100$ terminal
machines only, and run in that way any X applications?

zb.