Promoting Open Source in Schools

Igor Denisov denisov-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Dec 17 16:15:34 UTC 2005

> You also over-estimate the motivation of many window admins. Although there are a few that are truly interested in computers the vast majority are content to 'reinstall' windows as their only skill because its an easy job. Those are the ones shouting the loudest against any change. Their only skill will become obselete, they don't want to learn anything new, and they have the ear of upper management as 'insiders' looking out for the company.

This rings a bell.
I still wonder why they won't reimage over the network, and it might
just be that getting a tech to drive to a school, put the cd in and
press a button silences a few people (unions).

Also, with Linux, there _would_ be a lot less work, because all the
l33t_h4xx0r_dud3 high school kids would no longer be able to download
and use system cracks from sites like Blackcode. After all, all you
need for local Win2K admin rights is a boot disk, and then you can
install anything you want, be it Quake3 or a network traffic sniffer.