.ca dn registration - any recommendations for inexpensive registration?

Leigh Honeywell nyetwork-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Dec 13 19:14:07 UTC 2005

On 12/13/05, Scott Elcomb <psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On 12/13/05, PW Armstrong <pwa.linux-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > can anyone recommend an inexpensive registrar for .ca dn's?
>
> Netfirms charges $9.95/yr - http://www.netfirms.ca/domain-names
>
> Not sure what they're like as far as hosting (getting ready to one of
> there hosting solutions out, any comments would be appreciated.)
>
> > btb, why is it more expensive (so it seems to me) to register a .ca dn
> > than a .com dn?  any reason for this, or just lack of competition?
>
> I know that administrative details are different for .ca domains, but
> don't know much more than that off hand.

According to http://www.cira.ca/en/documents/2005/q2/FeesPolicyAndRules-1.6.txt
, the wholesale cost on a .ca domain is $8.50.  .com's are something
like $2.50 or $4, IIRC.

I use domainsatcost.ca for my .ca's, joker.com for .com's, and
Webnames.ca for client domains.  If I'm going to have to deal with a
registrar for a customer, I want them to have decent customer service,
hence using webnames.ca.

The one thing I haven't found yet is an inexpensive .ca registrar who
offers a nameservice as well - that's why I use joker.com for .com's.
Webnames will do it, but it's an additional $5 on top of $50 for a
year.  I don't mind passing that on to a client, but it's too rich for
me personally.  Any suggestions?

-Leigh

--
Leigh Honeywell