wireless card: PCI card or USB adapter ?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Sat Dec 10 16:13:33 UTC 2005

On Fri, Dec 09, 2005 at 08:37:04PM -0500, William Park wrote:
> I'm considering either
>     - PCI wireless cards, or
>     - USB adapter wireless
> They are both same price and same specs.

Do they both _work_ with linux?

> 1.  Any recommendatation on which to go for?  I'm leaning toward PCI
>     card, because I don't like "lose" peripherals.  But, I'll defer to
>     the experts.

I recomend gettings something with known to work GPL or equivalant
drivers.  At least that it is likely to continue working.  Some people
say good things about ralink based devices although I haven't tried any
myself yet (I am more of a wired network person).

> 2.  Can two computers connect to each other directly with wireless card,
>     just like "cross-over" cable?

That would be ad-hoc mode, so yes they can.

Len Sorensen