wireless card: PCI card or USB adapter ?

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Sat Dec 10 02:55:00 UTC 2005

William Park wrote:

>I'm considering either
>    - PCI wireless cards, or
>    - USB adapter wireless
>They are both same price and same specs.
>
>1.  Any recommendatation on which to go for?  I'm leaning toward PCI
>    card, because I don't like "lose" peripherals.  But, I'll defer to
>    the experts.

I'd pick PCI too, if only because the thing's screwed in and there's
less likelihood of jiggling loose or losing connections.

I'd always thought of USB as best for temporary peripherals, those that
you plug in and out as necessary. It sounds like you want the wireless
thing in permanent, in which case you have no need for hotplug capability.

The only real benefit I can see for USB is that it would give you more
flexibility of antenna placement.

>2.  Can two computers connect to each other directly with wireless card,
>    just like "cross-over" cable?

Yes, there is a point-to-point mode for wireless that doesn't require an
access point. Never used it myself, though.

- Evan