TLUG and government grants

Tim Writer tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Dec 8 15:27:03 UTC 2005

billt-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org writes:

> On Thu, Dec 08, 2005 at 09:35:15AM -0500, phil wrote:
> > On Dec 8, 2005, at 9:30 AM, billt-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org wrote:
> >
> > > It doesn't matter what your position or anyone elses is.
> > Wow!  If you could look at that sentence from a 3rd-party point of view, I
> >think you'd see every objection in a concise summary.
> >
> I understand exactly what you are saying. That doesn't make the sentence any
> less valid.

Of course it does. Yes, what's done is done. GTALUG can't be unincorporated
nor is it reasonabe to do so. However, GTALUG can change its tone and
approach to the _full_ membership.

> There is a process to change the direction that GTALUG is
> following and that process isn't whining about it on the list.
>
> Like it or not the present mode of operation is that GTALUG runs the
> operation of this club.

Those are both circular arguments. In a nutshell, you're saying, "We created
GTALUG and you have to live with it". Why? "Because GTALUG has rules that
must be followed."

> Yes it was a structure that was imposed from above by the ones running the
> club without notification to the people on the mailing list.

And you're not interested in redressing that?

My suggestion is that the full membership of TLUG (i.e. everyone who was
registerd on this mailing list at the time of GTALUG incorporation) be given
full voting rights for a period of 6 months or a year. During that period, no
changes are made to the membership rules. At the end of that period, GTALUG
has an election and the elected board (which will likely have many of the
same people) will be seen as representing the full membership. This is an
open, transparent, and democratic process that doesn't "throw the baby out
with the bathwater" and gives time for people to cool off.

My irrelevant $0.02.

--
tim writer <tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>                                  starnix inc.
647.722.5301                                      toronto, ontario, canada