TLUG and government grants

billt-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org billt-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 7 22:58:32 UTC 2005

> I wonder what kind of mandate the board of GTLUG really has in terms of
> TLUG. I have always understood that being a member of the TLUG e-mail
> list, gave one default membership in TLUG. If this is so, (and please
> correct if me if I'm wrong), I don't recall ever being asked to vote, on
> whether or not I wished TLUG to incorporate, much less change names to
> GTALUG, and I certainly never voted on membership levels being
> determined by paying a membership fee. Hence only paid members being
> able to vote for directors/board.

Prior to GTALUG's formation TLUG was a dictatorship. The orginal dictator was the clubs creator Lazlo, and when he left Drew took over the role. In fact until September of this year no one had ever voted for anything in this club.

Membership on this email list gave you no legal or moral rights to speak for or vote for anything. No one asked you because they didn't have to. No one asked me for that matter and at the time the incorporation started, I was organizing the rooms and and speakers for the club.

> So where did this mandate come from -- Did the majority of the members
> on this list vote for GTALUG and it's board ? Was there a public call
> for a vote or consensus ?
The mandate came from the same place Drew had his mandate and I had mine. They started doing the work. Nothing about the incorporation of TLUG was secret during that period of time and you could have joined that group and put your two cents in.

It seems the best way to keep a secret on this mailing list is to post the details.

Bill