TLUG and government grants

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Tue Dec 6 02:31:34 UTC 2005

William Park wrote:

>>Rather than GTALUG coming up with ideas that it would
>>like other people to do, why doesn't it offer to the
>>community some initiatives that _it_ wants to do?
>>

>>I believe I did exactly that.  If you want use GTALUG Inc as (Linux) NPO umbrella, then you have my support at the board.

You totally missed the point of what I said.

The current state of GTALUG seems reminiscent of a bunch of teenagers
hanging around the Seven-11:
"So, like, what do you want to do?"
"I dunno, what do _you_ want to do?"
(repeat as necessary)

There is a big difference between management and leadership. Leadership
means offering ideas and giving the community a focal point to which
people can contribute. It means showing initiative in not waiting for
someone else to move first.

The problem I see with GTALUG is that it brings something to the
community that already existed (ie, an NPO umbrella) but doesn't seem to
offer anything else. Structure is easy; I can think of quite a few NPO
umbrellas besides GTALUG that could have been used to front open source
community programs; they'd probably even do the grant paperwork in
return for a small piece of the project budget. What is lacking is
leadership, ideas, and the will (or energy) to carry out those ideas.

The community generally knows GTALUG's structure; what nobody seems to
know is its vision, its soul. You don't express a vision by stating an
intent to get behind whatever anyone brings to the table.

>Evan, my post was just an idea for those looking for ways to get some Gov money.

It did nothing of the sort. It noted someone else that received Gov
money and then invited community members (who were prepared to do all
the work) to use the GTALUG corporate structure from which to apply for
money for a similar project. It actually invites what would be a massive
failure, in that the Gov is unlikely to fund multiple projects that are
largely identical. A new computer recycling project is now very unlikely
to get Trillium money for a while.

>Whether the project is under GTALUG or CLUE, is least of my concern.

Where did CLUE come into this?

My point is that there are a bunch of bodies besides GTALUG *or* CLUE
who could offer an umbrella structure. What extra does GTALUG have to
offer beyond a corporate registration? You didn't even offer to assist
with any such project beyond giving them your vote.

>The project needs to be run by someone who can naviagate the Gov grant system, as well as organize incoming/outgoing of computer parts.  All
>I'm saying is, that's not me.  But, I'll help from my side of thing, as best as I can.

Be more specific. What would you -- what would GTALUG -- do to help?
What can it offer to someone with the idea? Project management?
Fundraising? Physical space? Publicity? Volunteer recruitment/incentives?

In any case, why try to duplicate a project that you know is already
started and funded? A new project that is essentially similar to
something already funded is highly unlikely to get new funds of its own.

If someone wants to help in computer recycling, perhaps the best advice
is for that person to contact the group that received the grant. Maybe
they need to hire people now that they have the funds. Make that project
successful rather than running to create a new one, potentially leaving
the community with two half-projects competing with each other for
funds, volunteers and used computers.

>If you and CLUE have idea that you'll like to share with the rest of Linux community, then I'll work with you.

CLUE and I already have our hands full with a major the
not-yet-announced national open source project. In the meantime, There
is plenty of work to be done in other areas -- but first GTALUG needs
some vision and it needs to show some leadership if it's to play a
valuable role in the community (let alone attract significant membership).

Run a flag up the pole and see who salutes. All that is certain is that
the status quo -- staring at an empty flagpole -- will get you nowhere.

- Evan