Another dead power supply

Meng Cheah meng-D1t3LT1mScs at public.gmane.org
Mon Dec 5 21:00:53 UTC 2005

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 03, 2005 at 09:56:41PM -0500, Meng Cheah wrote:
>>Other than a good power supply and a surge protector, what would you
>>recommend for a computer on 24/7? Is there some protection available
>>like if a fan or CPU started to fry?
>

> Most modern machines will power off if the cpu temperature rises too
> high.  I was helping a friend yesterday that thought their machine had
> friend the mainboard, but when I tried it, it would power up, initialize
> everything and then while showing the bios screen would power off again.
> Trying again it powered off even quicker.  After letting it cool a few
> hours I tried again and managed to make it into the bios to the hardware
> monitor and managed to see the cpu temp rise by 1 or 2C per second until
> at 72C it powered off the system.  After taking the system apart I found
> clip on the cpu fan was cracked and the thermal paste had turned into
> lightly browned cement, so I know have an idea what to do to fix it (it
> involves some new thermal paste).
>
> Personally I think the best protection is a decent UPS, and given you
> can get a nice 500 to 800VA APC for about $150 lately, there is no
> reason any computer should be without one.

Thanks Lennart.
When this thread started, I was reminded of an incident at work which I
heard about. I won't swear to the accuracy of the details.
One of the guys smelled a burning smell in the computer room and traced
it to a server. The manager was ticked off because "It's an IBM server
fan. It's not supposed to happen."
I'm running a box 24/7 at home. I don't mind losing the box or the data
but I want it to switch off or the supply off if anything happens.
Short of a home computer room, I guess that's the best I can do.