Another dead power supply

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Dec 5 20:33:17 UTC 2005

On Sat, Dec 03, 2005 at 09:56:41PM -0500, Meng Cheah wrote:
> How do you identify a protection circuit on the output(other than
> reading the specs)?
>
> Other than a good power supply and a surge protector, what would you
> recommend for a computer on 24/7? Is there some protection available
> like if a fan or CPU started to fry?

Most modern machines will power off if the cpu temperature rises too
high.  I was helping a friend yesterday that thought their machine had
friend the mainboard, but when I tried it, it would power up, initialize
everything and then while showing the bios screen would power off again.
Trying again it powered off even quicker.  After letting it cool a few
hours I tried again and managed to make it into the bios to the hardware
monitor and managed to see the cpu temp rise by 1 or 2C per second until
at 72C it powered off the system.  After taking the system apart I found
clip on the cpu fan was cracked and the thermal paste had turned into
lightly browned cement, so I know have an idea what to do to fix it (it
involves some new thermal paste).

Personally I think the best protection is a decent UPS, and given you
can get a nice 500 to 800VA APC for about $150 lately, there is no
reason any computer should be without one.

Lennart Sorensen