TLUG and government grants

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Sun Dec 4 16:44:43 UTC 2005

James Knott wrote:

>And after they have their computer?  Do they continue on with other computers?

Some do, some don't. Even modest rates of volunteer retention leads to
good growth in available resources. Obviously they need some long-term
volunteers to supervise and train the short-term help and provide
continuity. The infrastructure is actually quite formally defined, and
there's a lot of documentation to allow people to step into the various
roles.

>Also, how many volunteers are technically competent to make such repairs.

The bulk of the manual work I saw there was sorting and testing.
Assembly of systems is, IIRC, the realm of the long-term help.

>I have many years experience in electronic repairs, on minicomputers and other complex systems.  Even so, I'm not sure I'd want to work on PC hardware, given the lack of documentaton, parts, etc. While many problems may have an easy fix, many others don't.  Then what happens to the stuff that can't be fixed.

What they can't reuse, they recycle. The main recycling tasks at
FreeGeek are separating, sorting and obvious easy stuff such as removing
batteries. The rest is sent to appropriate waste management firms.

- Evan