TLUG and government grants

Meng Cheah meng-D1t3LT1mScs at public.gmane.org
Sun Dec 4 15:16:23 UTC 2005

Evan Leibovitch wrote:
> James Knott wrote:
>> The problem with this, is that the labour to do this often costs more
>> than the finished product is worth.
>>
> Not if you're using volunteer help.
>
> As I mentioned in an earlier mail, at FreeGeek people "earn" their
> computers with 24 hours of their time.

I took a look at www.freegeek.org.
You said that they reuse/recycle everything, when you visited.
That is an impressive operation.
Was the troubleshooting, repairing, soldering, etc done by volunteer
tech/geeks too? I imagine paying marketprice for their skills would be
prohibitive.

I can see recycling computers at the "just replace the card/board" level
working with volunteers and minimal staff costs.

Has anyone any experience with Reboot here in Toronto?
I wonder how is their program like.
I am not able to connect to www.reboot.on.ca since last night.