Geek gifts

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 2 03:14:37 UTC 2005

--- William Park <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 01, 2005 at 01:02:15PM -0500, Colin
> McGregor wrote:
> > Zbigniew Koziol’s <zkoziol-Zd07PnzKK1IAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> recent
> request
> > for a computer has started me thinking. Being
> geeks we
> > are (almost?) all interested in new/different
> > technology, and many of us (yes, I am one) have
> > packrat tendencies. So, in this season of
> giving/self
> > improvement let’s see what can be done to help
> others
> > and ourselves. I would like to suggest a geek
> holiday
> > oriented gift program sort of patterned after the
> > FreecycleTO / FreeTOreuse projects that you can
> read
> > about here:
>
> Main problem with this kind of thing is that it cost
> more in logistics
> than actual products that we're trying to give away.
>  Every time I go
> downtown, it's $10 in gas.

No the idea is that the person receiving the item must
got to a place and at a time that is ok for the person
giving the item away.

So for example the items I am giving away are
small/light so I have no qualms about taking them from
where they are now (home) to office, or GTALug
meeting, or UU meeting, or to other places I normally
go. On the other hand if someone asked me to take
these items out to say Mississauga, my response would
be tough, I don't have any plans to go to Mississauga,
and I am not going that far out of my way to give
stuff away...

If the item is big, bulky, and/or heavy the giver
might say something like "You must come to my office
between 9:30 AM and 4:30 PM or you don't get the
item".

The goal here is to clear out stuff that your not
going to make use of and make it available to someone
who can put the item to a productive use. Everyone
wins.

> If you can find someone who is in downtown and will
> hold this stuffs,
> then people can bring junk to and/or pick up junk
> from.

Not an issue...

Colin McGregor