Microsoft hardware, wasOT - Is this computer for real? (CORRECTION)

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Wed Aug 24 17:28:29 UTC 2005

--- Gary Layng <glayng-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> And here I thought I was the only one with a
> Microsoft keyboard and mouse
> attached to his Linux box.  ^_^

Your not the only one, I have a Microsoft Natural
Multimedia keyboard and a Microsoft wireless mouse
(either one of which can be had for under $10 if you
wait for the right sale to come up at the right
surplus shop).

So question is, how many other local Linux users are
running with a Linux box with a Microsoft keyboard
and/or mouse?

Back when questions were being raised about how to
punish Microsoft for taking illegal actions as a
monoloply(*) I was of the view that Microsoft should
have been forced to become a pure hardware company.
Regretably, one of the (many) mistakes made by the
current Bush administration was to hand Microsoft a
punishment so light that it doesn't even count as a
slap on the wrist.

Colin McGregor

(*) Keep in mind that it isn't illegal to have a
(near) monopoly, as for example Heinz has some 90% of
the ketchup market. What is illegal is how you obtain
that monopoly, and how you use that monopoly position.
For example, a supermarket does not have to sell Heinz
marinade sauce in order to be able to sell Heinz
ketchup. Likewise Heinz does not use their ketchup
profits to sell their baby food below cost (with a
view to getting a monopoly in that area too).