Indigo cutting back Linux magazines?

Franco Saliola saliola-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 19 15:45:25 UTC 2005

On 8/19/05, Peter Hiscocks <phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Indigo has now passed the stage where it's not even worth looking for books
> and magazines on Linux. Their mathematics and science section is still worth
> a (brief) look. However, even that is significantly inferior to the math and
> science collection in Book City, especially the one in the Annex.

The mathematics section just sucks. I few years back you'd be able to
get some "real" mathematics books: graduate-level texts;
researcher-level books. Now you'll only find things like "Math Made
Easy" and "All The Mathematics You'll Ever Need to Know".

> Anyone here remember the Coles stores? In some cases they were huge, and as
> far as I could see, there was not one book worth reading. Cole's Business
> Plan: sell cheap, remaindered books that no one reads. Maybe Indigo is
> heading in that direction.

I thought Coles was owned by Chapters, which is now owned by Indigo.
Am I wrong? And I think there are a few Coles stores around.

> Small bookstores such as Book City and Pages show that they can be
> competitive by intelligent selection of the books they stock.
>
> Vote with your dollars.

I realized a while ago that pretty much the only power an individual
has is deciding who gets her money, so I try to be conscious of who
gets my money and encourage others to do the same.

Franco