Distro Makeover!

interlug-list interlug-vSRlqIl1h/9eoWH0uzbU5w at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 19 14:04:47 UTC 2005

A Distro-statement that might just keep us entertained for the weekend.

"Any sufficiently advanced Linux Guru can modify any distribution to
make it appear to be any other distribution. "

I support this statement by starting with the easy stuff.  Even a low
level user like me could select a theme in Fedora that makes the desktop
appear to be Win(something) at a quick glance.  By changing icons, key
mappings and file names the makeover is a little more convincing,
perhaps even during use.

But what about a more knowledgeable user?  Can a person start with (say)
Ubuntu and make it appear to be (say) Slackware?  Or Fedora to Gentoo?
Will the makeover stand up to analysis?  How much?

When you do a makeover like this, when does the distro change from being
the original distro, to a modified-original distro, to an emulated
target distro, to the target distro?