Linux Benchmarking

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 18 19:40:33 UTC 2005

On August 18, 2005 13:08, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 18, 2005 at 12:55:55PM -0400, Evan Leibovitch wrote:
> > The "how well configured" IMO is part of the original question.
> > How well are various distros tuned for certain environments? How
> > much work do they need to be reasonably optimized?
>
> Thea features you select and the settings you make will affect it a
> lot. Tuning depends on your application needs.  If there was one
> optimal tuning, you would think that would be the kernel default or
> application default.  Why would only one distribution have figured
> out that magical tuning value that is better than all others in all
> cases?
>
> > Ie, I recall that some distros were faster than others to ship
> > with kernels pre-configured to run better with Pentiums at the
> > expense of 486 operation. Now that we have 64-bit coming along,
> > some distros are now shipping versions optimized for that. Yeah,
> > anyone could eventually figure out how to do this, but for the
> > newcomer obviously it's best to find something that comes out of
> > the box reasonably well tuned.
>
> All distributions ship with kernels optimized for different cpus.
> You just have to install the one matching your cpu.

Case in point - urpmi -y kernel in Mandriva 10.2 reports:

kernel-2.4.28.0.rc1.5mdk
kernel-2.6.11.12mdk
kernel-2.6.11.6mdk
kernel-enterprise-2.4.28.0.rc1.5mdk
kernel-i586-up-1GB-2.4.28.0.rc1.5mdk
kernel-i586-up-1GB-2.6.11.12mdk
kernel-i586-up-1GB-2.6.11.6mdk
kernel-i686-up-4GB-2.6.11.12mdk
kernel-i686-up-4GB-2.6.11.6mdk
kernel-multimedia-2.6.10-3.mm.24mdk
kernel-multimedia-enterprise-2.6.10-3.mm.24mdk
kernel-multimedia-i686-up-4GB-2.6.10-3.mm.24mdk
kernel-multimedia-source
kernel-multimedia-win4lin-2.6.10-3.mm.24mdk
kernel-multimedia-win4lin-enterprise-2.6.10-3.mm.24mdk
kernel-multimedia-win4lin-i686-up-4GB-2.6.10-3.mm.24mdk
kernel-smp-2.4.28.0.rc1.5mdk
kernel-smp-2.6.11.12mdk
kernel-smp-2.6.11.6mdk
kernel-source-2.6
kernel-source-stripped-2.6
kernel-uml-2.4-2.4.22-2mdk
kernel-uml-2.6.10-2mdk
kernel-xbox-2.6.11.12mdk
kernel-xbox-2.6.11.6mdk

The original poster wants to know which distro is the fastest but the
question remains, faster at what?
--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay