Linux Benchmarking

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 18 16:55:42 UTC 2005

On Thu, Aug 18, 2005 at 12:33:55PM -0400, Jason Carson wrote:
> Which distro is the fastest.

None of them are.  Unless a distribution has a serously misconfigured
kernel, or runs things it shouldn't, it will be the same speed as all
the others.

Any distribution that claims to be faster than everyone else is full of
it.

The only speed that really matters is how fast you can do your work on
it like updating and managing it.  That's where the real time saving is
since even if something actually ran faster, computers tend to spend
over 95% of their time waiting for the user, so any real improvements
have to be made in reducing the amount of interaction with the user that
is required.

For me that means debian with it's wonderful packagemangement and great
package quality, and ready to use packages of almost any program I could
want.

Lennart Sorensen